Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Out of Dark Comes Light: Raden Ajeng Kartini

Raden Ajeng Kartini was born to a wealthy and powerful Javanese family, when Java was still ruled by the Dutch Colonies. She was allowed education until she was 12, when she is eventually secluded at home and is prepared for marriage. During school, Kartini learnt how to speak fluent Dutch, which allowed her to acquire some pen pals in Europe, whom she wrote her desire to improve the living conditions of indigenous women, who had very low social status. She also read a lot of books, all were in Dutch during her life. It was from books that caused her to desire the improvements for women's living conditions.

At age 24, Kartini married Raden Adipati Joyodinigrat, the Regecy Chief of Rembang against her wishes, but she married him (already with three wives) because she does not wish to disappoint her father. He [Joyodingrat] allowed her to establish schools for women, as women were not allowed education in that times.

Kartini died on September 17th, 1904. Just a few days after her only son was born. She was only 25.

After her death, her letters to her friends were published with the title "Out of the Dark Comes Light (Door Duisternis tot Licht)" and the English version called "Letters of a Javanese Princess". In her letters, she protested the way that the Javanese culture does not let women develop, she wants women to develop and learn. She also doubted religion, and how the Qur'an must be memorized even if you do not understand it. She wrote "Religion must guard us against committing sins, but more often, sins are committed in the name of religion".

Kartini may not have brought change directly herself, but by her husband building the school for women, they have raised the living standards for women, as they are now educated and are able to get a job. Kartini's dreams are what caused change, as reaching Utopia require little baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you throw in a lot of facts in each paragraph, your title is creative which grabs the reader in. Your post is very organized, with creative transition sentence, pulling the reader to go on. From your post, I learned that Kartini is a very hardworking person and she sacrifices herself for women to have school, is this correct? And maybe you should have made it more clear to what is worth fighting for. Also, your concluding sentence, i can easily understand that she made a big difference for women, and maybe you can make a bit more for the reader to think on even they finished reading your paragraph. Perhaps a quote from her which relate to the topic?
    I wish I understood why Kartini has to married Raden (her husband), I'm wondering if you can put more facts or ideas into that statement.
    Overall, I think your paragraph is very creative, I can see that you did a lot of research on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had to marry her husband because of her fathers wish, a really powerfull man, bupati of Jepara. I have to add, that her father was reaaly freindly to wait a lot, because Kartini was old (24 yrs) at her marriage.

      Delete
  2. Thank you on the feedback and I appreciate you telling me all the down points as I am able to improve my blog post. And to answer your questions,
    yes she did build a school, but she did not sacrifice herself for it, as her husband fulfilled her wish. She married Raden Adipati because of arranged marriages. Back in her day, young women have arranged marriages to men with other wives for their wealth.

    ReplyDelete