Thursday, November 24, 2011

Just the Way You Are







In today's world, the population have certain expectations that they think they are meant to exceed. This is all thanks to the media, magazines and advertisements. Females especially get affected by this, as a lot of advertisements today feature the "perfect" model of females. They are skinny, they've got perfect skin, they've got long legs, perfect hair, and the right looks. This can make girls, like myself, feel very conscious of our appearances. Fortunately, there are a lot of organisations out there that want to help girls feel better about themselves, such as Confidence Coalition. Their cause is trying to make girls feel more confident about themselves. You can sign their pledge here. I think that self-confidence is worth fighting for.

Some other organisations that are trying to make girl, or guys, feel better about themselves is TWLOHA(To Write Love on Her Arms). It is an organisation that brings awareness to depression, suicide, and the people feeling unloved. Doing this can show the people that are depressed, feel unloved, and the ones considering suicide that a lot of people care about them. How do you exactly show this? You write "love" on your arms. Another organisation that is trying to help girls feel better about themselves is Operation Beautiful. It has a lot of participants, and all the participants have to do is just post a sticky-note in a random place where a lot of people can find it and it has to say something about the reader being beautiful. 

Self-confidence is also worth fighting for because if people are more confident, then less people on this earth will feel worthless and think of what we are able to achieve! Seventeen Magazine is also doing something that is called "The Body Peace Treaty". It is a treaty that states that you are not to judge others by looks, you are not to let anyone influence how you feel about yourself, and several others alike. There is a saying that in order to be loved, you  need to love yourself first, and I think that it is true. Personally, when a person is really shy and not confident, I sort of feel awkward and I won't know what to say and if the person is confident, I tend to feel more comfortable.

Without these organisations, I think that the world would be really different. For instance, I think that more girls might have eating disorders and that not a lot of girls would be as confident. Saying this, I do not support arrogance, I support confidence. I think that these organisations are really inspirational because they all probably started from experience, and that can show people that they are not alone. You are beautiful, just the way you are(: 

Picture:

2 comments:

  1. I liked your blog post and I thought you did a really unique topic. I also liked how you gave some organizations that help girl make themselves feel better. There is not many mistakes in your blog but there are very few grammar mistakes. And you could add some hyperlinks. Your intro and conclusion are also very well written. It seemed you did a lot of research in your topic. Overall, your post is very well written. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have 10 hyperlinks, and it wasn't showing so I fixed it. Thank you for telling me that the topic was unique. I thought that the topic was one that a lot of people could relate to. This topic is also one of the topics I really care about, as I think that this is one of the reasons that girls today are self conscious.

    ReplyDelete